[Vision2020] Wikipedia-Mining Algorithm Reveals World’s Most Influential Universities

Robert Dickow dickow at turbonet.com
Wed Dec 9 11:47:53 PST 2015

Well, this was interesting, but the ranking result is suspect. I like the result because my alma mater is pretty high up (10th), but apart from that, one should be quite wary of this list as a raking that is at all accurate. The algorithm itself is actually not new, but using Wikipedia as the source is almost funny to me. Keep in mind how Wikipedia content is contributed. Do we normally rank colleges based on how many times they get mentioned somewhere? I think the interest in the article is certainly there for the contribution to computer science work, but not for college rankings.

Bob Dickow, troublemaker