[Vision2020] Wikipedia-Mining Algorithm Reveals World’s Most Influential Universities

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Thu Dec 10 08:59:53 PST 2015

On 12/9/2015 11:47 AM, Robert Dickow wrote:

> Well, this was interesting, but the ranking result is suspect.

Of course it is suspect.  I suspect that it is new.

> I like the result because my alma mater is pretty high up (10^th) ,
> but apart from that, one should be quite wary of this list as a raking
> that is at all accurate.

Well, there are sure to be some random leaves here and there,
considering that some network connections can be intermittently, or
purposefully, flaky.  When some reputed leaders of the world discover
their public face may be improved as a result of better connections, I
suspect the quality of the connections will improve straightforwardly.

> The algorithm itself is actually not new, but using Wikipedia as the
> source is almost funny to me.

Titter and giggle funny, sure, as might accompany gossipy chatter about
a new discussion topic with semi-serious content about who is seen with
whom.

> Keep in mind how Wikipedia content is contributed.

Yes, there is a diversity of content-contribution attitudes, ranging
from extremely introverted mathematical imagination applied to specific,
technical articles to, at the other end of the spectrum, a wiseacre
music fan adding his name to a musician's genealogy to fake-out a guard
into allowing the fan a backstage pass and proximity to the performers.
But then Wikipedia editorship, with many eyes widely dispersed, is
likely, over the expanse of topics, to be no less effective an
intellectual security mechanism than a smaller number of publishers'
editors assigned to be academic virtue valiants protecting the portals
of establishment education.  Linus Torvalds, founder of the Linux
operating system, said of software errors that "Given enough eyeballs,
all bugs are shallow," meaning that the more people are examining a
subject, the less likely the subject matter contains errors.  While this
idea may be more effectively implemented in science, technology,
engineering, and mathematical disciplines as opposed to social science
and humanities topics, it is still true that most Wikipedia topics have
their subject matter guardians, and so most topics are relatively
well-regulated, even in the face of semi-organized attacks against
controversial subject matters.

> Do we normally rank colleges based on how many times they get
> mentioned somewhere?

Yes.  Colleges are routinely ranked based on how many times their name
is mentioned in the winners' columns of sporting statistics. College
professors are ranked according to the number of references to their
work other college professors make in their published works.  It even
used to be the case that the party-school status of various institutions
would be reported in such august publications as Playboy.

> I think the interest in the article is certainly there for the
> contribution to computer science work, but not for college rankings.

There are other facets of the reported relationships that are of
interest.  The relative strength and efficiency of northern European
institutions, and the natural languages that are dominant within their
spheres of interaction, are an interesting insight into
inter-institutional interactions, and may indicate to some priorities in
personal language study for professional and professorial growth.  Oh,
and by the way, which local educational institution chose to get rid of
its undergraduate major in German, and has threatened to do the same
with French, rather than promote their growth?  An institution that can
not bother itself to teach the major natural languages of the world has
little excuse to wonder why it is nearly invisible from the
international stage of academic interaction.  Sigh.

Ken