[Vision2020] Caturday (February 22, 2014)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Feb 22 05:18:00 PST 2014

Courtesy of Catster at:

http://www.catster.com/the-scoop/cat-kitten-rescue-adoption-pictures-photos-no-front-legs-mercury

-----------------------------------

Mercury the Kitten Has No Front Legs But Gets Around Like a Pro

A weed-whacker accident left him a double amputee at four days old, but youth saved him.

So, look, I'm kinda short. I'm not even five feet tall. When I want to get my favorite top-shelf beer at the market, I have to ask for help, and then folks look at me as if I'm not old enough to buy it. I always have to get my "petite" length jeans tailored, even in five-inch heels I'm barely average height, and when stepping down from the bus I have to leap from the last step to the curb.
Sometimes it's a pain in the butt, but I remind myself that I'm very lucky to have everything in functioning order -- even if it's in a smaller scale. There are animal friends like Mercury out there (he's missing both his front legs and all but one toe on one of his hind legs) who make living in a world not designed for them look like a piece of cake.

Mercury's injuries occurred when he was a mere four days old. He'd been accidentally hit with a weed whacker. Rather than put the kitten down, the veterinarian who tended to Mercury's injuries referred the kitten to his current human friends, who have experience working with bottle babies.

Though the severity of Mercury's injuries is a tragedy, there is a silver lining: Because of his young age, Mercury was able to adapt to his new body. His human friends nurtured the kitty as best they could, and now Mercury is thriving, despite his differences.

And that's inspiring.

Mercury has no trouble being sassy.

http://www.MoscowCares.com