[Vision2020] Concealed Firearms Permit Requirements . . .

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Aug 21 14:18:24 PDT 2014

I apologize to everyone in advance, as this may be a TLDR, but here goes . . .

Tom says below:

“It appears, unfortunately, that NFTA's four-hour class (complete with munchies and sodas), followed by a field trip to the nearest firing range, qualifies an applicant for an Idaho Concealed Weapons Permit.”

Yes, provided the county sheriff deems you worthy of issuance, as stated in the first part of title 18-3302:

18-3302.  ISSUANCE OF LICENSES TO CARRY CONCEALED WEAPONS. (1) The sheriff of a county, on behalf of the state of Idaho, shall, within ninety (90) days after the filing of an application by any person who is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under state or federal law, issue a license to the person to carry a weapon concealed on his person within this state.

Then there’s the 14 disqualifications, and the catch-all:

CAUTION: Federal law and state law on the possession of weapons and firearms differ. If you are prohibited by federal law from possessing a weapon or a firearm, you may be prosecuted in federal court. A state permit is not a defense to a federal prosecution.

Now, I never argued that one couldn’t use the NFTA training as part of what’s required for an enhanced permit.  But there are other requirements, as I think we’ve both said . . .

>From http://www.level1firearms.com/Courses/Idaho_Enhanced_Carry_and_Concealed_Weapons_Course.html

Idaho Enhanced Carry and Concealed Weapons License Requirements

You may apply for an Idaho Enhanced Carry and Concealed Weapons License provided:

You do not violate  <http://www.level1firearms.com/Education/Federal_Gun_Laws_and_Acts.html> Federal Gun Ownership Laws

You do not violate  <http://www.level1firearms.com/Education/Idaho_Gun_Laws.html> Idaho State Laws

You attend an <http://www.level1firearms.com/Classes/Idaho_Enhanced_Carry_and_Concealed_Weapons_Classes.html>  advanced firearms course on safety and handling

You fire 98+ rounds in the presence of an Idaho Firearms instructor

You attend an  <http://www.level1firearms.com/Courses/Idaho_CCW_Legal_Instruction_Class.html> Idaho lecture focused on firearms and the law  conducted by an attorney, a member of the Idaho State Bar, or

a POST 3 firearms instructor.   (that’s the class they’re teaching at Tri-State)

Or you can get it from the Wasden’s Mouth at:

http://www.ag.idaho.gov/concealedWeapons/concealedWeapons_index.html

If you want, though, you can still be the winner.

Your pal

DC

P.S. I asked someone in the know the other day how many enhanced permits have been issued in the state of Idaho so far.  My source thought maybe there have been about 500.  Five hundred in a state of 1,000,000.  How many of those 500 do you suppose are college students?  I’m thinking it’s pretty low, and that all this hype and hyperbole is much ado about nothing.  Now excuse me while I head outside and have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than I do of getting shot, at least in my opinion.

. . . as specified in Idaho Statutes, Title 18 (Crimes and Punishments), Chapter 33 (Firearms, Explosives and Other Deadly Weapons, Section 18-3302 (Issuance of Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302.htm

------------------------------------

TITLE 18

CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS

CHAPTER 33

FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS

18-3302.  ISSUANCE OF LICENSES TO CARRY CONCEALED WEAPONS.

. . .

(13) When issuing a license pursuant to this section, the sheriff may require the applicant to demonstrate familiarity with a firearm and shall accept any of the following, provided the applicant may select whichever of the following applies:

(a)  Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the department of fish and game or a similar agency of another state;

(b)  Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course or any national rifle association hunter education course;

(c)  Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, university, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle association or the Idaho state police;

(d)  Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement agency;

(e)  Presents evidence or equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(f)  Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality, unless the license has been revoked for cause; or

(g)  Completion of any firearms training or training or safety course or class conducted by a state certified or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

It appears, unfortunately, that NFTA's four-hour class (complete with munchies and sodas), followed by a field trip to the nearest firing range, qualifies an applicant for an Idaho Concealed Weapons Permit.

And don't forget the Tri-State ten-dollar gift certificate.  You've earned it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go to the campus post office and check my mail.  Cover me.

 <http://www.moscowcares.com/> http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon