[Vision2020] N.S.A. Foils Much Internet Encryption

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 5 22:55:01 PDT 2013

I heard on CBS news this morning that there was some lawsuit against Google due to them scanning emails to mine keywords for ad targeting.  They had a legal expert who thought the case was 'weak' due to gmail being a free service to users that was well known to be financed by ads.  Signing up has a long list of legalize with an 'accept' button clicked by the user.  Apparently the lawsuit is using the argument that incoming email is also scanned and that there was no consent necessarily by the sender.

I'd say 'brave new world' but technology has been advancing for many, many decades now with similar sorts of ethical / privacy issues at play.

-Scott