[Vision2020] So, you think our borders need tightening, huh?

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Sun Sep 1 18:06:08 PDT 2013

Hi Scot,

The link below discusses recent (within the last hundred years) immigration
quotas from Europe to the U.S.  Many folks are unaware of the U.S.
unwillingness to allow other than minimum immigration of Jewish people
trying to escape central Europe and the growing threat of the 3rd Reich.
http://www.ushmm.org/museum/exhibit/online/stlouis/teach/supread.htm

THE UNITED STATES AND THE REFUGEE CRISIS

Between 1933 and 1939, more than 300,000 Germans, perhaps 90 percent of them
Jews, had applied for immigration visas to the United States, and by 1940
about 90,000 German Jews had found sanctuary in America. Despite the sincere
intent of some American activists to assist refugees fleeing Nazism, strict
immigration quotas, public opposition to immigration during a time of
economic depression, and antisemitism in the general public and among some
key government officials were serious obstacles to any relaxation of U.S.
immigration quotas.

Immigration Quotas

A strict quota system limited the immigration of German and Austrian
nationals to the United States. The quota set specific limits on the number
of people who could emigrate in any given year from any foreign country, and
eligibility was based on one's country of birth.

The quotas, which were set by the immigration laws of 1921
<http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/shared/aboutus/statistics/legishist/468.htm>
and 1924
<http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/shared/aboutus/statistics/legishist/470.htm>
, were discriminatory and were aimed at reducing emigration from
"undesirable" areas of Europe, especially eastern Europe and the Balkans.
American policy makers wanted to prevent thousands of penniless Jews from
southern and eastern Europe from entering the United States. While
antisemitism was certainly a factor in formulating this aim, fear of
communism and a general fear of poor people in a time of depression were
equally influential.

The Immigration Act of 1924, which reduced the annual quota from 358,000 to
164,000, intensified an already severe anti-immigration law that was passed
in 1921. In addition, the act reduced the immigration limit from 3 percent
to 2 percent of each foreign-born group living in the United States in 1890
<javascript:void(0)> . Using 1890 figures, rather than those from 1910 or
1920, the new wave of foreign-born from southern and eastern Europe were
excluded from quotas truly proportionate to their true numbers in the
population. Finally, the act provided for a future reduction of the total
quota to 154,000, with visa allocation based on each nationality's
proportional representation in the 1920 U.S. population. In 1929, the new
quota went into effect. Of the 154,000 people allowed into the United States
each year, almost 84,000 were British and Irish, people who did not need to
flee from the Nazis. While the new law cut the quota for northern and
western European countries by 29 percent, it slashed the numbers for
southern and eastern Europe by 87 percent. Italy's quota, for example, was
reduced from 42,057 to 3,845 persons.

The annual German quota to the United States was 25,957, but little of that
was being used. The main obstacle was a 1930 U.S. State Department
Regulation instructing consular officials abroad to adopt a new
interpretation of regulations barring prospective immigrants that were
likely to become public charges. Instead of judging an individual's capacity
to do useful work in the United States, the regulation was interpreted in
such a way as to limit immigration because of the existing labor conditions
in the United States. Anyone who needed to work to support himself or
herself (i.e., anyone who was not independently wealthy) was considered
likely to become a public charge and was rejected. "

There is a great deal more information that is well worth reading and taking
the time to reflect following the selection above.  I find it abhorrent to
deny anyone the right to enter this country when they are coming to escape a
no hope situation in their home country.  Which of us would turn away a
family who asks only to work, feed and educate their children.

Rose Huskey