[Vision2020] So, you think our borders need tightening, huh?

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 1 16:36:09 PDT 2013

Is the 'loosen the standards to what they were when my grandparents came over' an apples to apples comparison for undocumented workers picking apples and being paid by the barrel?  For the case of undocumented workers from Mexico, you might have several bad apples spoiling the whole barrel.  At least that's what I hear regarding drug runners and violent criminals who are clearly in the minority.

If you're grandparents came over from Mexico into open arms, then I'd agree that times have changed dramatically.  If they came over from another continent, then I'm not even sure what's really changed since then and now.  I'm not aware of any huge controversy of immigrants from, say Europe, being blocked and turned away from legally entering the United States and subsequently naturalizing if they so choose.  Most of the controversy seems to be closing the flood gates from Mexico and also figuring out how to deal with the millions of those from Mexico who are here illegally.

I don't think it's an easy problem to solve.  I'd prefer that we have a better partnership with Mexico to tap into their labor and resources in a mutually beneficial way that enriches the lives of those in both countries.  But since their system of government and infrastructure is so screwed up, I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Thus, the Unites States needs to ensure that the imbalance between the two countries that results in millions of Mexicans wanting to cross the border legally or illegally doesn't have significant negative impact to the nation's economy and security.

CC: thansen at moscow.com; vision2020 at moscow.com; jeannemchale at hotmail.com; fritzknorr at gmail.com