[Vision2020] So, you think our borders need tightening, huh?

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 1 22:57:02 PDT 2013

Thanks Rose & Wayne.  I'll consolidate my responses here.

Rose writes:
<I find it abhorrent to deny anyone the right to enter this country when they are coming to escape a no hope situation in their home country.  Which of us would turn away a family who asks only to work, feed and educate their children.>

I'm not sure that it's a 'no hope' situation, but being in the United States offers magnitudes more work, education, and health benefits than the country they're fleeing.  It's hard to say which one us would turn away a family.  I think it would depend on how big of a cumulative drain or asset such families would be on the regions that they're congregating in.  If they want to send their kids to public school or even private school I have no objection to that.  In general, it seems Idaho does a fairly good job of employing illegals.  Something like 80% of the Idaho dairy farm workers are illegal.  And if you make them legal, they would unlikely work those jobs and instead would move on to higher paying jobs that they'd be entitled to by law opening the way for other illegals to take their place in the lower paying jobs they've now vacated.  So while it's abhorrent to deny anyone the right to enter this country, it's not so abhorrent to me anyway to document them and them put them on a path toward to legal residency and ultimately to citizenship.  It's abhorrent to me to simply just give them immediate citizenship because that's a complete injustice to the many millions of people that do come here legally, follow the rules to obtain residency, and then follow more rules to obtain citizenship.  So again, I'm fine with a path to citizenship, but let's make it fair, reasonable, and properly scaled to all of the rest of immigrants that wish to come over here from various countries all over the world.  Doesn't that make perfect sense?

Wayne writes:
<Some people assume that our immigration laws are racist or biased in favor of certain nationalities. Not so now, although it was true for a long time. Orientals, for instance, were not allowed to immigrate to the U.S. and there were national quotas for immigration, with the quotas being weighted to give preference to northern Europeans, then later, to natives of the Western Hemisphere. That is no longer so; the last vestige of race or national origin in the law disappeared in 1965.>

It's hard to say Wayne.  India and China each have populations over 1 billion people and we have relatively strict immigration policies for those countries compared with other countries.  It seems a case could be made on race / bias.  Or maybe not given all the facts and realities.

-Scott