[Vision2020] Question, V-Peeps . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 08:44:52 PDT 2013

I don't think this got sent yesterday.  My apologies.  This is in reply to Tom's request for a citation.

It was in an earlier post of mine.  Here is the quote from Wikipedia I posted:

From Wikipedia:

"

The Constitution does not define the phrase natural-born citizen, and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. A 2011 Congressional Research Service report stated that
The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term
"natural born" citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S.
citizenship "by birth" or "at birth", either by being born "in" the
United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien
parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born
in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship "at
birth". Such term, however, would not include a person who was not a
U.S. citizen by birth or at birth, and who was thus born an "alien"
required to go through the legal process of "naturalization" to become a U.S. citizen.[1]
The natural-born-citizen clause has been mentioned in passing in several decisions of the United States Supreme Court and lower courts dealing with the question of eligibility for
citizenship by birth, but the Supreme Court has never directly addressed the question of a specific presidential or vice-presidential
candidate's eligibility as a natural-born citizen."

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page on the  natural born citizen clause: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_born_citizen

Here is a link to the actual report (which I haven't yet read fully): http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42097.pdf

Paul