[Vision2020] Once upon a time . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 18:39:57 PST 2013

There is the National Security Action Memo #263, dated Oct 5, 1963 which
called for the reduction of 1,000 troops by the end of 1963.

The following link is from the JFK Library, but it wasn't working for
me.  It might be back up later.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/w6LJoSnW4UehkaH9Ip5IAA.aspx?

In the meantime, here is another:

http://www.jfklancer.com/NSAM263.html

I don't know if this means he would have continued to withdraw troops if
he had lived, given the aftermath of the Diem assassination, but I think
it shows a less hawkish view of the war.  He supposedly was trying to
get the Vietnamese trained to handle things themselves and then withdraw.

Paul