[Vision2020] Once upon a time . . .

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 19:30:11 PST 2013

One interpretation of the Memo was to put pressure on the Diem administration to more effectively prosecute the war. Note that it was not made public at the time.  In September of 1963, Kennedy gave two TV interviews, quoted here: http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/context1.htm

 In September of 1963, Kennedy did two TV interviews in which policy toward Vietnam was discussed. The first was with Walter Cronkite on September 2nd. In it, Kennedy made the famous statement that is quoted by Oliver Stone and other conspiracists:
I don't think that unless a greater effort is made by the Government to win popular support that the war can be won out there. In the final analysis, it is their war. They are the ones who have to win it or lose it.
Kennedy then goes on to talk about problems with the Diem regime, and concludes:
. . . in the final analysis it is the people and the Government [of South Vietnam] itself who have to win or lose this struggle. All we can do is help, and we are making it very clear. But I don't agree with those who say we should withdraw. That would be a great mistake. I know people don't like Americans to be engaged in this kind of an effort. Forty-seven Americans have been killed in combat with the enemy, but this is a very important struggle even though it is far away.
Not surprisingly, conspiracists rarely if ever quote the latter part of that passage.
One week later, on September 9th, Kennedy was interviewed by Chet Huntley and David Brinkley of NBC. Here is the portion of the interview concerning Vietnam:
Mr. HUNTLEY. Are we likely to reduce our aid to South Viet-Nam now?
>The PRESIDENT. I don't think we think that would be helpful at this time. If you reduce your aid, it is possible you could have some effect upon the government structure there. On the other hand, you might have a situation which could bring about a collapse. Strongly in our mind is what happened in the case of China at the end of World War II, where China was lost, a weak government became increasingly unable to control events. We don't want that.
>Mr. BRINKLEY. Mr. President, have you had any reason to doubt this so-called "domino theory," that if South Viet-Nam falls, the rest of Southeast Asia will go behind it?
>The PRESIDENT. No, I believe it. I believe it. I think that the struggle is close enough. China is so large, looms so high just beyond the frontiers, that if South Viet-Nam went, it would not only give them an improved geographic position for a guerrilla assault on Malaya but would also give the impression that the wave of the future in Southeast Asia was China and the Communists. So I believe it.
>[and a little later in the interview]
>What I am concerned about is that Americans will get impatient and say, because they don't like events in Southeast Asia or they don't like the Government in Saigon, that we should withdraw. That only makes it easy for the Communists. I think we should stay.
>We should use our influence in as effective a way as we can, but we should not withdraw.

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA

On Monday, November 18, 2013 6:40 PM, Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

>There is the National Security Action Memo #263, dated Oct 5, 1963
      which called for the reduction of 1,000 troops by the end of 1963.

>The following link is from the JFK Library, but it wasn't working
      for me.  It might be back up later.

>http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/w6LJoSnW4UehkaH9Ip5IAA.aspx‎
>
>In the meantime, here is another:
>
>http://www.jfklancer.com/NSAM263.html
>
>I don't know if this means he would have continued to withdraw
      troops if he had lived, given the aftermath of the Diem
      assassination, but I think it shows a less hawkish view of the
      war.  He supposedly was trying to get the Vietnamese trained to
      handle things themselves and then withdraw.

>Paul
>
>On 11/17/2013 09:28 PM, Ron Force wrote:
>
>One must remember the history of the era (which I lived through). It was a time when Communism seemed monolithic and powerful. The Democrats were attacked for having "lost China" in 1949. The McCarthy era (late 50's) made it seem that the government was infiltrated by traitors. Government employees at all levels were required to swear loyalty oaths. Kennedy was assailed early in his term for having botched the invasion of Cuba.
>>

>>Kennedy was trying classical counter-insurgency tactics in Vietnam that the British had used in Malaysia --moving the population into secure villages, building guerrilla armies out of the ethnic minorities-- remember, he pushed the Green Berets to the fore. These policies and the strict Catholic policies of Diem were alienating the population. When the Catholic President Ngo Dinh Diem appeared to be losing the support of the Buddhist majority. the CIA funded a military coup that ended in Diem's assassination. Kennedy was assassinated three weeks later.
>>

>>Although some claimed that Kennedy would have withdraw from Vietnam, it's hard to find any support for this theory in his actions. The same foreign policy and military advisers continued with Johnson. Both Kennedy, Johnson, and the people around them firmly believed in the "domino theory". Johnson didn't want the Democrats charged with "losing Vietnam", so as the situation in the country deteriorated excuses were found to escalate the conflict. Given the general psychology. foreign policies, and public anxieties of the period, it's hard to believe that Kennedy wouldn't have sent the troops in, just as Johnson did.
>>
>>Ron Force
>>Moscow Idaho USA
>>

>>On Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:49 PM, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Not necessarily. It is possible Kenndy had a way, or would have found a way to end the conflict. He did get us out of the Cuban missle crisis. He also set forth the mission to put a man on the Moon. It is entirely possible his wanting to not escalate Vietnam was a cause of this assassination. How much was made off that war? Why did Johnson refuse to end, even at his demise, and forced Humphrey to tske the same stance.
>>>Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android
>>>

>>>________________________________

                                      in Vietnam, in 1961 that number
                                      increased to 3,205, the number

> [...]