[Vision2020] Fw:[Spam 3.60] Bipartisan Legislation to SupportVictims of Violence Signed Into Law

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 15:13:56 PST 2013

Wow, the thread has already been Godwin'd.

There are valid reasons why someone might object to this bill, that I think people can relate to even if they aren't a concern for them personally.  According to Wikipedia, the ACLU criticized it in it's first incarnation because there were provisions for mandatory HIV testing when only charged with a crime that they thought had privacy concerns.  I don't know if those provisions are in the current re-authorization or not.  Some people object to it because it has provisions for non-tribal people to be charged in tribal courts, which they think might mean that some of their Constitutional rights of those non-tribal people might not be adequately protected in such a situation.  Phyllis Schlafly objects to it because it promotes "divorce, breakup of marriage and hatred of men."  And yes, some people wanted to reduce services to undocumented immigrants and LGBT individuals.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what he objected to specifically.

Paul