[Vision2020] Huh? Say WHAT!?

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 08:05:58 PST 2013

@Gary,

Cultmaster Wilson said that *All* arguments used to support gay marriage
can be used to support polygamy.  That's false.  There are many that
support same gender marriage who argue that marriage is defined as union
between two persons, just as Wilson and his ilk define marriage as a union
between a man and a women.  Both these definitions commit the fallacy of
persuasive definition [Google].

That's why I suggested Googling the history of marriage.  Before the advent
of monogamous marriage there were many kinds of relationships between
persons that served the same purpose as marriage does today, and few of
those were monogamous.  Perhaps Wilson like he is ignorant of modern
biblical scholarship, he is also ignorant of the elementary findings of
anthropology.

Unlike the discussion going on here about polygamy, Wilson simply compares
gay marriage to polygamy as a scare tactic which he reckons will appeal to
the dwindling numbers that hold a similar worldview to his own -- got to
keep that cash machine working.  Besides the cash flow, its all about
adhering to his interpretation of the ancient texts he is hawking, and not
about the economic, social, population effects, fairness, and stability,
benefits of same gender marriage.

@others,

This discussion has evolved and tacitly assumed that people marry out of
romantic love and/or the desire for children.  In reality people marry for
many reasons which may have little or nothing to do with love or children.
We do not deny *consenting adult* men and women the right to do this, why
should we deny the same right to consenting same gender adults, or more
than just two consenting adults?

However, arguing for the right of polygamy is not necessarily endorsing
that it occur without consideration.  Relationships are complicated;
marriage ought not be something entered into without careful thought and
some education/skill acquistion about conduct that can raise the
probability of a happier union.

Sunil is correct that men may enter polygamous marriages because they want
more than one woman.  There are relationships where women do the same.
However, there are other reasons for entering polygamous or polyandrous
marriages such as the feeling of belonging/community, sharing
responsibilities/duties/chores, economic security, etc.

Googling polygamy and polyandry and reading the different points of view
and experiences might be helpful to the open minded.  For Wilson and his
tightly tethered sheep (tethered to him and/or the ancient texts he hawks)
knowledge of reality is to be shunned and denigrated if it conflicts with
their rationally unsupportable delusions.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com