[Vision2020] Huh? Say WHAT!?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Mar 1 23:01:33 PST 2013

On 3/1/2013 10:34 PM, Sunil Ramalingam wrote:
> The only reason it's being discussed is because he said it. I don't
> think any polygamists are using gay marriage to advance their own cause.
>
> Anyone here know anyone connected to polygamy?

No.  However, the polygamist group in British Columbia has been known to
do business in northern Idaho, so they're not all that far away.

> As a kid in Malaysia I went to school with three kids whose dad I
> believe had four wives. There were at least two.
>
> I don't think polygamy usually has anything to do with three (or I
> suppose more) people being in love. It usually has to do with a
> husband wanting to have more than one wife.

Probably true, and probably less than optimally attractive for all of
the participants in such arrangements, especially if the children are
considered.

Canadian courts have been unenthusiastic about polygamy in Canada. Here
is a New York Times article that followed a Canadian court decision a
year ago November:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/world/americas/british-columbia-court-upholds-canadas-polygamy-ban.html?_r=0

Ken