[Vision2020] The scientific debate on climate change: 67 comments

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 15:40:51 PDT 2013

I'm just googling.  Naively, I expected to easily find climate model predictions and how they prevailed against real-world data, but I didn't.  The funny thing is, you can find people like Roy Spencer and Judith Curry showing where the models fail by under-predicting warming, and you can find more mainstream climate scientists showing where the arctic ice cap is shrinking faster than their models expected, or that sea level rise is worse than expected.  Nowhere could I find a simple plot of how each climate model is doing wrt real-world observations.

If I had went to the trouble and expense of making a climate model and I intended to show that it had predictive ability, I'd make a website that showed (in real-time as data filtered in) how that model was doing in the various channels it had predictive ability in.  I'd show what the initial conditions were, and some background on why those values were chosen.  I'd show what assumptions were made and why.  I'd even provide the code for the climate model itself, so that coding mistakes could be identified easier.  I would probably throw installation instructions in there, while I was at it.

The predictions would have error bars, at the 95% confidence level, as would the real-world observations.  The minute the error bars for the observations strayed out of the 95% confidence for the ability of the model, "good" or "bad", that model would have failed.  That would trigger an exhaustive analysis of why the model failed, and would probably end up in a paper being written and submitted for peer review describing the results of the analysis.  The results of the analysis would result in either a fix for the old model or a completely new model being written.  Rinse, lather, repeat.

That's just for basic science.  If I though world leaders might be trying to use my model to base policy decisions on that would affect thousands or millions of people, I'd probably be even more strict.

Paul