[Vision2020] Fwd: Soda vs. Marijuana

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 20:20:30 PDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Darrell Keim
Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Subject: [Vision2020] Soda vs. Marijuana
To: Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com>
Cc: Darrell Keim <keim153 at gmail.com>, Moscow Vision 2020 <
vision2020 at moscow.com>, Jeanne McHale <jeannemchale at hotmail.com>, Fritz
Knorr <fritzknorr at gmail.com>

No, I summarized the Wikipedia page I linked to.  One can debate the
academic value of Wikipedia,  but it does serve as substantiation.  I
encourage you to look up the recent study linking marijuana use to lowered
iq for adolescents.

The gay marriage addition serves as a nice nonsequitir, but ultimately has
no bearing on the benefits and risks of marijuana.

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
> Mr. Keim -
> You have suggested, without substantiation, that marijuana severely
impacts the health of its users.  I, along with the states of Washington
and Colorado, disagree.
> I introduced same-sex marriage into our discussion for no other reason
than to reflect the differences in the two state governments.
> http://www.MoscowCares.com
>
> Tom Hansen
> Moscow, Idaho
> "There's room at the top they are telling you still
> But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
> If you want to be like the folks on the hill."
> - John Lennon
>

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 7:47 PM, Darrell Keim <keim152 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I fail to see your point.
>

> On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
>> You realize, of course, that a mere eight (8) miles to the west of
Moscow two men (or two women) may legally marry each other . . . and
legally toke up a bong at their wedding reception.
website was removed? (http://idahonorml.webs.com/) was frozen.
>> Yet, I heard rumors that WSU NORML sponsors wedding receptions and is
considering opening a booth at Seattle's farmers market.

http://norml.org/chapters/item/washington-state-university-norml?category_id=726
>> Seeya 'round town, Moscow, because . . .
>> "Moscow Cares" (the most fun you can have with your pants on)
>> http://www.MoscowCares.com
>>
>> Tom Hansen
>> Moscow, Idaho
>> "There's room at the top they are telling you still
>> But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
>> If you want to be like the folks on the hill."
>> - John Lennon
>>

>> On Jun 11, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Darrell Keim <keim153 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tom:
>>
>> You're right-I don't want to get into a "war of experts."  That wasn't
my purpose.  My purpose was to point out that your graphic was overlooking
some fairly major issues caused and/or related to marijuana use.

>> I do appreciate your link to the organization.  Hadn't seen that one.
For my job I work with the Regional Advisory Committee on Substance Use
Disorders.  This puts me into regular contact with local recovery
counselors, psychologists, etc.  I also serve on the boards and/or
regularly interact with the Latah County Youth Advocacy Council, Kamiah
Community Partners Coalition, and Clearwater Substance Abuse Workgroup.
I'm afraid my mind is pretty well made-up RE marijuana.

>> I do tend to favor treating it as a public health issue, like smoking
and drinking; rather than as a legal issue.  Public Health campaigns
against those substances have been reasonably successful.

>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mr. Keim -
>>> Instead of listing inifinite sources that tend to support legalizing,
regulating, and taxing marijuana, I invite you to start your browsing at an
organization of which I have been a member for quite some time . . .
>>> The National Organization for the Reduction of Marijuana Laws (NORML)
>>> <image.jpeg>
>>> http://www.norml.org
>>> A couple other things . . .
>>> 1 - As far as that illogical claim that 95% of those currently addicted
to heroin got their start on marijuana . . . I would be more concerned
about the 5% who jumped right in to heroin.
>>> 2 - My "indulgences" led more to increased sales revenue at the
neighborhood KFC versus any increased liquor consumption.