[Vision2020] Soda vs. Marijuana

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 20:08:35 PDT 2013

I fail to see your point

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
> You realize, of course, that a mere eight (8) miles to the west of Moscow
two men (or two women) may legally marry each other . . . and legally toke
up a bong at their wedding reception.
website was removed? (http://idahonorml.webs.com/) was frozen.
> Yet, I heard rumors that WSU NORML sponsors wedding receptions and is
considering opening a booth at Seattle's farmers market.

http://norml.org/chapters/item/washington-state-university-norml?category_id=726
> http://www.MoscowCares.com
>
> Tom Hansen
> Moscow, Idaho
> "There's room at the top they are telling you still
> But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
> If you want to be like the folks on the hill."
> - John Lennon
>

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Darrell Keim <keim153 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Tom:
>
> You're right-I don't want to get into a "war of experts."  That wasn't my
purpose.  My purpose was to point out that your graphic was overlooking
some fairly major issues caused and/or related to marijuana use.

> I do appreciate your link to the organization.  Hadn't seen that one.
For my job I work with the Regional Advisory Committee on Substance Use
Disorders.  This puts me into regular contact with local recovery
counselors, psychologists, etc.  I also serve on the boards and/or
regularly interact with the Latah County Youth Advocacy Council, Kamiah
Community Partners Coalition, and Clearwater Substance Abuse Workgroup.
I'm afraid my mind is pretty well made-up RE marijuana.

> I do tend to favor treating it as a public health issue, like smoking and
drinking; rather than as a legal issue.  Public Health campaigns against
those substances have been reasonably successful.

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mr. Keim -
>> Instead of listing inifinite sources that tend to support legalizing,
regulating, and taxing marijuana, I invite you to start your browsing at an
organization of which I have been a member for quite some time . . .
>> The National Organization for the Reduction of Marijuana Laws (NORML)
>> <image.jpeg>
>> http://www.norml.org
>> A couple other things . . .
>> 1 - As far as that illogical claim that 95% of those currently addicted
to heroin got their start on marijuana . . . I would be more concerned
about the 5% who jumped right in to heroin.
>> 2 - My "indulgences" led more to increased sales revenue at the
neighborhood KFC versus any increased liquor consumption.
>> Ah, the memories:  While stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco
(1977 - 1979), my two favorite haunts were Baker Beach (about a quarter
mile south of the Golden Gate Bridge and a two-block stagger from the
government quarters in which Rodna and I resided) and a tavern at the
corner of Fifth Street and Clement Avenue called the Moonshiner (whose
customer base consisted of everything from lawyers to opera singers to
Hells Angels . . . and yours truly).
>> To make a long (and rather interesting) story short, marijuana was
easily procurable at each location.  In fact, I recall several occasions
where people would sit on the curb, outsde the Moonshiner (that had no
entry door, just a slider that would open the entire front end), openly
smoking a joint, watching cars (including SFPD) go by.
>> Those were the days, my friend . . .
>>
>> Seeya 'round town, Moscow, because . . .
>> "Moscow Cares" (the most fun you can have with your pants on)
>> http://www.MoscowCares.com
>>
>> Tom Hansen
>> Moscow, Idaho
>> "There's room at the top they are telling you still
>> But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
>> If you want to be like the folks on the hill."
>> - John Lennon
>>

>> On Jun 11, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Darrell Keim <keim153 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting graphic, though a poor logical argument.  Sure soda is bad,
does that mean we should A.  Ban all bad things?  B.  Legalize all bad
things?  Isn't there room for a third option?  I won't attempt to defend
soda.

>> The graphic goes very light on marijuana's harms.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_cannabis
>> The above page mentions positive correlations to:  female infertility,
dependency, acute psychosis (but only when tied to an underlying mental
disorder), chronic psychosis (in adolescence), increased suicide rate,
gateway drug (my personal anecdotal experience backs this-most of the folks
I meet in treatment started with either booze or pot), and loss of IQ.
Curiously, it doesn't seem to cause lung cancer (though other cancers show
a positive correlation), though it does have some of the other health
issues usually correlated with smoking.

>> The above are correlated with marijuana.  I won't argue that correlation
equals causation.  I also won't argue that it also correlates with some
positives:  pain relief, slows cognitive decline, The Eagles famous
"Peaceful, Easy Feeling."