[Vision2020] Hmmm . . .

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 08:16:24 PST 2013

@Joe,

Empirical evidence is important, and especially some general estimate of
the risk.

However, the general risk is different from a specific risk, and more
important is the expected value of the risk

If for example, I propose to ay you $100  if a throw of a die is greater
than 1, but you pay me $100 if the throw equals 1.

EV = (5/6)*100 - (1/6)*100 = $500, normally a very good bet for you in the
long run, and little but some risk in a single trial.

To see the relevancy of this to the present issue, just change the above
game to Russian Roulette.

The owner of a gun for protection despite the odds, rationally chooses not
to pay Russian Roulette.

w.

art.deco.studios at gmail.com