[Vision2020] Dorner and Gun Control

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Feb 12 23:15:02 PST 2013

Joe gets it . ..It is not uncommon for Joe and I to disagree.  It's nice
and .... fun when we agree.

Remember the tragic Oklahoma City bombing.  For several days after the
attack, news outlets were speculating on the perpetrators of the
bombing.  Most fingers pointed to muslim/arab terrorists.  We all
remember those ultimately identified as the culprits.

One lesson here is that the news should not be the result of speculation
but facts.  In the rush to get the headline, the actual story is lost -
and in the rush to be the first to pass on the story, the actual story
is lost.

And given the apparent skills of the perpetrator, it is important to
know, equivalently, his status.

I'm leaving the gun issue aside for awhile.  We will have ample
opportunity to discuss guns in the near future and it should be a good
discussion.

For the moment, let me highlight a couple of points:

1. The killer in this episode was not a currently serving peace officer
(apparently he had been "wrongfully" discharged), but an armed services
soldier trained and experienced with use of firearms.  If one is a
civilian (without extensive weapons training) and encounters someone
like Dorner, the best to hope for is to vacate the premises, pronto and
if you are so inclined .... pray, but don't stop running!  And no doubt
about it, Joe is correct when he says that police officers with special
weapons training can be a menace.

2. Firearms in the hands of individuals without firearm training and
experience are a problem and can also be a menace.  The solution is
relatively easy - get training and practice.