[Vision2020] Immigration Reform: Path to citizenship won't be easy

Scott Dredge scooterd408 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 15:56:15 PDT 2013

You're correct Joe. Someone may want citizenship but won't apply (not aware or lacks resources) or maybe doesn't have the avenue to apply (here illegally maybe).

I hang with all sorts if various and sundry characters and I've heard all sorts of excuses for not applying for citizenship from a few. Some of the comments have been 'I'VE LIVED HERE LONG ENOUGH, I DON'T THINK I SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO TAKE A TEST' and 'THE CLOSEST IMMIGRATION OFFICE IS IN SEATTLE AND THAT'S 4 HOURS AWAY' and 'I DON'T WANT TO BE SUBPOENAED TO SIT ON A JURY'.  I don't even know if the last one is accurate. Can you shirk jury duty if you're a non citizen?

Anyway IMO when there is process already in place, you should follow the process. I think Wayne's point is that for those in the United States illegally, they should go back to their home country or else be forcibly removed per the current process (law). I don't agree with position which I'm sure makes me a hypocrite for calling for other laws to be enforced but not deportation laws except under certain instances where enforcing them 'makes sense' to me. Subjective, I know, but that topic is for another discussion.

So the question I'd have is 'do illegals residing in the US presently have a have a path to become legal residents?'  If not, I thin that's the first problem to solve. Give them a path to Green Card. Or if that's too much (and Greed Cards are tantamount to Nirvana), then they should be offered a path to Blue Card which can be continued on the Green Card.

Does this seem fair enough?

-Scott