[Vision2020] Immigration Reform: Path to citizenship won't be easy

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:14:20 PDT 2013

Were all things equal, I would agree with you, Scott. I think I've tried to
live my life in accordance with the values you suggest and in general I try
to go the regular route and not cut corners.

But are all things equal? I'm suggesting a pragmatic policy consideration
that is not without its moral problems. But leave ethics out of it; don't
base it on what folks should do; try to base it on what they will do,
whether it is effective policy. Leave ethics to the priests and
philosophers.

Leaving ethics aside, and viewing things from a purely practical point of
view, we should consider some kind of amnesty for existing illegal
immigrants. Bringing the law into the matter always incurs a cost, and how
could that cost be justified other than in some obscure, philosophical way
with which I would likely disagree.

The law should be lean and mean; only used when necessary as well as
justified.