[Vision2020] Huh?

Robert Dickow dickow at turbonet.com
Thu Sep 20 22:34:56 PDT 2012

And then there is ‘mayhem.’ Mayhem is serious battery that results in permanent (specifically physical and not psychological I think) injury, disfigurement, etc. But an instance of ‘touching’ per se in point (b) in the definitions below would have to be deemed ‘unlawful’, I presume by the person expressing that they don’t want to be touched, if the touching is not otherwise threatening or violent, right? It does say ‘unlawful touching,’ which is a little unclear in the context of those definitions.  The law also has distinctions such as ‘aggravated assault,’ and so on. Complicated stuff.

Ok, time for another anecdote: Some many years ago a friend of mine, a fine bassoon player, wanted to have a few lessons from an even more accomplished bassoonist in a big symphony. My friend did have one bad habit: He tended to tap his foot to the beat while playing. At the first lesson with the renowned teacher, after about 5 minutes of playing by my friend, the master stomped on my friend’s jittery foot with painful result. My friend said he was shocked, but he never tapped his foot from that day forward. Ok. Is this a potential case of battery on the part of the master teacher? …maybe the student would have had to given prior warning to the teacher not to touch him.

If I were able to exercise today this kind of physical teaching technique on some of my horn students, without getting fired, I could quickly cure them of bad technique or habits that often continue to plague them for 2, 3, or many more years despite my best efforts. Ah, for the Good Old Days….   ;-)

Bob Dickow, troublemaker

From: vision2020-bounces at moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-bounces at moscow.com] On Behalf Of Tom Hansen

Courtesy of Title 18 (Crimes and Punishments), Chapter 9 (Assault and Battery) of the Idaho Statutes at:

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH9SECT18-903.htm

TITLE 18

CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS

CHAPTER 9

ASSAULT AND BATTERY

 18-903. BATTERY DEFINED. A battery is any:

(a)  Willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another; or

(b)  Actual, intentional and unlawful touching or striking of another person against the will of the other; or

(c)  Unlawfully and intentionally causing bodily harm to an individual.