[Vision2020] Question, V-Peeps . . .

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Oct 31 03:34:09 PDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 11:12 PM, Scott Dredge wrote:
> It's a non-issue.

One of the essential characteristics of municipal government is that it
is relatively local, i.e., close to those who are governed and, ipso
facto, those who are governed are close to those who govern them. If one
of those governing changes one of his characteristics from local to
non-local, that change creates an incongruity with local government
characteristics which may be resolved by resignation from office by the
incongruous person.

> It's tantamount to claiming Obama is ineligible to be president
> because many believe he was born in Kenya.

That is maldirective nonsense. Many people believe incorrect information
to their individual and our collective detriment. The fact of their
belief does not justify it, nor does it serve as a basis for argument
that because it is true that anything else is true.

> If this Tim Brown character is not eligible to be sitting on the
> council, then someone who cares about this should follow the processes
> in place to remove / replace him.

Tim Brown initiated the processes necessary to place himself into
membership of the Moscow City Council at a time when his characteristics
were consonant with such membership. Apparently he has changed those
characteristics, so he should initiate the processes necessary to remove
himself from membership of the Moscow City Council.

> That'd just be far too logical and it won't happen so this flap is
> much ado about nothing.

Asking other people to expend the energy to collectively act to do what
the incumbent could, and should, do individually with less energy, and
more grace, is neither "logical" nor efficient, and represents a level
of counterproductivity that is counterintuitive to better local government.

"Much ado about nothing" serves better as a Shakespearean play title
than as a description of this discussion.

Ken