[Vision2020] Something you need to know

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Wed May 2 11:44:10 PDT 2012

Thanks Sue & Donovan for bringing up this important topic.  It’s been so long now since I worked in either the social services or health fields that my knowledge isn’t current & I’ve not kept up on the details of newer changes as much as I should have, so I’m glad both of you have shared current perspectives about the prescription drug challenges faced by the elderly & differently abled in our communities.

Back in the day, though, and I can’t imagine it’s much different now, it wasn’t at all uncommon for doctors to prescribe needed medications my nursing & group home residents could not afford.  In those instances, the patients simply do without . . . there’s no Prescription Drug Fairy I know of who goes around handing out meds to those who cannot afford them.  I think PAPs are a wonderful thing, but I wonder how many people in long term care facilities, the vast majority of which are understaffed, have access through effective advocacy?

A few years back when stories were all over the news about our elderly taking bus trips to Canada to purchase their needed medications for affordable prices, I was horrified about the need for such extreme measures, as was anyone with a beating heart, but what really got me was thinking about our elderly & differently abled folks in care facilities who didn’t have that option.

For me, there’s something terribly, terribly wrong with our country when so many people – even those with insurance – don’t have access to necessary affordable health care, and that includes access to affordable prescription drugs, but by God, we’re gonna continue to give unconscionable tax breaks to very wealthy and to Big Business.  Those so-called “job creators” have done a perfectly miserable job in recent years.  Instead of continuing to reward them for doing such a rotten job at creating US jobs, let’s take those perks away . . . maybe that will motivate them to start being productive again.  Isn’t that the argument the GOP & TPers use to justify cutting from those with the most need?  Hit them in the wallets – that will get them off their lazy arses.

Saundra

Moscow, ID

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.

~ Edmund Burke