[Vision2020] Good news begs to be shared!

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Tue Jun 12 07:18:57 PDT 2012

Some community/county events are just too good to keep to myself.  The
reopening of the Troy Medical Clinic under the management of Gritman
Hospital has me dancing down my sidewalk.  (And, I don't have to tell you
that's a sight for sore eyes.). I love Gritman Hospital!  Two of my children
and five of my grandchildren were born there.  Over the last fifty years
countless ER trips for the lacerations, bruises, and fractures, of a
growing, active, family, plus several episodes of life-threatening illnesses
have reinforced my conviction that nothing beats a locally owned,
non-sectarian, public, non-profit hospital, staffed by folks who care about
their patients and are guided by an institutional philosophy that embraces
and uplifts the community.

The values shared by the staff, administration, and board are also apparent
at the Gritman Health Care Clinics sprinkled throughout Latah County
(Potlatch, Kendrick and Troy).  These facilities are a tremendous boon for
patients who might have difficulty getting to Moscow, not to mention the
instant gratification provided to those of us seeking a long over-due return
to the old-fashioned notion of a family centered medical practice in homey,
neighborhood settings.

In recent years I have watched with great dismay the growth of supersized
Mac-Medical family care clinics in Moscow. Those practices have deliberately
chosen a management style that is antithetical to patient centered medicine.
I routinely hear that it is impossible to get an appointment with the
(supposed) family chosen health provider on the day that the kids wake up
with fevers and hacking coughs not to mention what happens when a fragile
old granny wakes up feeling crappy and wants a nurse who is familiar with
her medical history and concerns.  When an answering machine is used for
initial patient contact and patients are routinely directed to a
practice-owned Mac-Doc In A Box (which used to be, and perhaps still is,
more expensive than an office call at the parent medical facility) there is
no question that the management model values high profit margins over a
philosophy of responsive, patient-centered care.  I believe that the best
way to counter "The-Patient-As-A Walking-Wallet" philosophy is to practice
some financial jujitsu and Prance That Pocketbook right out their door.

Therefore, yesterday when I stopped by the sparkling, newly renovated Troy
Clinic and was greeted by friendly, welcoming staff, I was delighted.  I
have many happy memories of Dr. Drury who practiced in Troy for decades.
The reopening of the Troy Clinic gives me reason to hope that once again
patient centered care is convenient for those of us on the eastern side of
the county.  Actually, it would be worthwhile for Moscow folks who don't
mind a fifteen minute jaunt into the "wilderness" to drive over and check it
out.  If the weather is good and you are up to biking, the Latah Trail takes
you almost to the front door of the Clinic (it is located next to the
Library on Main Street)  and it is a gorgeous, easy-going-east - kinda
tough-going-west ride.  And, speaking of favorite local businesses, why not
stop in for a sandwich or a killer (Ferdinands ice cream) milkshake at the
Filling Station. It will knock your socks off!

Hurrah for Gritman Hospital, the new Troy Clinic, and medicine that
emphasizes old-fashion values with high tech advances.

Rose Huskey

P.S.      For many years I worked for a small family medical practice so I
have more than an ordinary interest and background in how medical offices
are run, and the manner in which they deliver services to their patients.