[Vision2020] Beyond Crackpottery

Rosemary Huskey donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Tue Jun 12 08:45:18 PDT 2012

On the whole, I support eccentricity - after all, I am not unaware of my own
tendency to occasionally stop by the kingdom of Quirky.  Nonetheless when
idiosyncrasy includes a genuine risk to others, it crosses the line from
harmlessly peculiar to potentially dangerous.  What jackassery prompted the
Daily News editorial board through its designated spokesperson Murf Racquet
to address obstetric protocols at local hospitals?  It's not too late to
share with your readers the professional credentials held by Daily News
editorial board members which provided you with even a scintilla of the
background and training necessary to evaluate the risks connected to VBAC
deliveries.  And what in our troubled world with the genuinely serious
issues of political upheaval , economic crisis and environmental degradation
suggests to you that VBACs are worthy of your editorial attention?

It was a dim-witted decision to put your two cents into a VBAC debate in the
first place.  To follow it up by giving space to a VBAC advocate who
advertises the following special 'gifts" and powers tells me more about the
decision making ability of the Daily News than it does about the mystical
Ms. Hoger.

12/08/2011

"I have identified with the Crow as a bird itself for its intense beauty,
magic and intelligence and as the representation of the link between death
and life, the transition, the veil, whatever you want to call it, it is the
space in-between. I've lived in that space to a substantial degree myself
and it is an interesting and sometimes difficult place.

My youngest son, [I removed his name to protect his privacy although his own
mother clearly didn't give a hoot], was very much a girl and very much a
different entity up until three weeks prior to birth. We never had an
ultrasound, there was never a measurement, and of course, to most people, my
statement will sound ludicrous. "He was obviously not a girl at anytime!"
(Other than the fact that we all start as girls, but that is yet another
story). Anyway, we had quite a series of events occur right at the end of
pregnancy and there was a time (although I never worried that he would not
be ok) where I had no idea, suddenly, who he/she/it was.

There is the Heisenberg principle
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenberg_uncertainty_principle>  which
essentially identifies the fact that we can only be so certain about
physical properties at any given time and the closer we interact with the
system we are studying, the more change we bring to the very nature of that
very system. In a very simplified manner, you can take this also to mean
that when we nail down the sex of a fetus in an ultrasound, the parameters
become that much harder to change. Ie. If you measure it as a boy, it will
most likely be a boy. But anyway, we never measured the baby or nailed him
down into any kind of matter and once huge life changes took place, there
was this shift. And then, finally, when everything else fell into place, I
got the feeling he was going to be a boy and that he was finally going to be
born. And there 'he' was."

One Child in Either World
<http://www.umacenter.com/2/post/2011/12/one-child-in-either-world.html>

Among the many "products" she sells I found (and gagged over):

"Replenish and restore hormonal balance with Placenta Encapsulation. Using
either a raw foods method or the Chinese Methodology of steaming the
placenta first, the placenta is then cut and dried at temperatures which
preserve the nutrient and energetic values of this amazing organ which
provides the perfect balance specific to YOU.
 ~ Minimize post-partum blues
~ Restore vitality
~ Provide plentiful antibodies for you and your child
The dried placenta is ground and placed in capsules for ease of consumption.
Umbilical cord is also saved and allowed to shape in its natural way during
drying. A tincture will be made for long-term use (menopause, etc.)$250 ~
includes encapsulation, tincture, pick-up & delivery, and cord drying"

http://www.crowmedicine.net/products.html

Her ability to "heal" includes:

Distance Sessions <http://www.crowmedicine.net/distance-sessions.html>

"Many of the same concerns we deal with in the office can also be discussed
and worked with from a distance (by phone or email) using elements of Reiki
and Clairvoyance or Shamanic Journeying. It is not necessary that we have
met in advance or that you have been seen in the office to receive distant
work. There are quite a few different ways to describe the techniques or
processes, but I feel we are simply tapping into the collective shared
consciousness to access details that are parts of the whole.

Fees are the same as for in-office sessions:
$90 for your initial 90 minute session
$75 for 1 hour follow up sessions thereafter.
Payments online through PayPal."

And her credentials, if you had any interest in verifying her claims related
to obstetric practice include:

"I have decided to move away from being a doula  and am honoring the many
past lives of midwifery and herbal training I have had as a mode of
channeling that knowledge and wisdom into other sources: the shamanic side
of my work, the online education, and my writing.  Crow Medicine is and has
been many things over the years, but first and foremost, it is how I live
and walk through this world; shifting and changing and living on the border
of transitions."
Shifting <http://www.crowmedicine.net/3/post/2012/01/shifting.html>

Does the DN have any responsibility to readers when it comes to publishing
credentials of advocates for a particular point of view?  Was this whole
pile of baloney an attempt to stir up discussion and increase circulation?
Do you think that these kinds of editorial decisions increase your
credibility?

Shaking my head - which frankly was exploding when I researched this woman's
philosophy - and deeply grateful that placenta is not on my lunch menu.

Rose Huskey