[Vision2020] Ques. For you: What is Most Important in a Relationship?

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:44:43 PDT 2012

Thank you Ken for a thoughtful and insightful reply.

Short comments:

"Different strokes for different folks."  There is a great diversity of
human needs and the relative intensity of those needs in individuals that
drive and impact relationships.  The general rules which you recommend
(again not too different from those in *A New Look At Love*) are very
useful and helpful.

But in reality, some people with very intense needs of various kinds --
sex, wealth, recognition, accomplishment, destruction, etc -- may find
those rules too restrictive.  People with intense needs find it difficult
in maintaining close relationships, but can find lasting ones with others
who also have intense needs, and where both recognize that the relationship
is secondary to the satisfaction of other needs.

Another factor to be aware of is the change of a person's needs,
orientation, and direction over time.  Change happens, and it sometimes
comes slowly, but destructively to intimate relationships.

Contrary to Scott's declaration, IMO maintaining a healthy, fun, and
fulfilling relationship does take effort -- thinking of ways to keep the
other persons needs met, planning new and fun things together, working to
communicate even over difficult, sensitive subjects, looking at the changes
occurring in your partner and finding ways to accommodate them, etc.

There is some fascinating work of levels of sustaining of interests.  Some
people get bored very easily, others crave dead still status quo.  Those
that get bored very easily generally have more difficulty than others
maintain a close relationships, unless strongly driven otherwise.

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com