[Vision2020] About Evidence

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:28:35 PDT 2012

Well, we can whittle them down a bit. There are those that believe in
nothing other than empirical facts (like Art and maybe Chasuk). Thus,
value judgments -- not being empirical facts -- must be based on
beliefs or performances: something subjective or in any event
(wo)man-made (or they fall into the last view noted below: they deny
values exist). There are those who think that values are determined by
some supernatural force: theists, Wiccans, etc. (Actually, I shouldn't
pretend to speak for Wiccans; maybe they think values are natural, in
which case they would fall under the next heading.) There are those
who think values have some other objective, though natural
underpinning (like me). And there are those who deny that values exist
at all and claim that all value judgments are false. That gives us
four views. Am I missing anyone? No matter, in this way we are
unlikely to get to 7 billion. But maybe I don't have the right
categories! I admit that if one wants to give each individual view its
due, the numbers will increase. But not to 7 billion.