[Vision2020] Welcome to Confederate Latah County . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 09:20:11 PDT 2012

We're talking about a historical display in which the use of a flag from
that time period simply as a prop makes sense.  Do you think it was the
intent of the historical society to offend people who... are easily
offended by this symbol?

You seem to be arguing that we shouldn't, for example, show an image of
a swastika on a web page that explains what the swastika is.  Are these
images *so* offensive that we need to eradicate them from our society
completely?  If so, how do you plan on getting every single person
on-board with this?

I just think that the right not to be offended is subordinate to the
right to free expression.  Of course, we're talking about the Courthouse
here which brings in different issues, I realize.  But generally, I
think this is true.

I'll leave it to the historical society or whoever it was that put up
this display to defend it's educational value.

I just don't understand the vehemence here.  I get offended occasionally
by things I see on TV or signs or the occasional commercial or
advertisement I run across.  When that happens, I shake my head at their
foolishness, recognize that people have other viewpoints and the right
to express them, and move on without creating a big stink about it.  In
my opinion, if everybody did that we'd live in a much less
confrontational and less divisive world.

Paul