[Vision2020] More Proof Preventative Health Care Saves

Jay Borden jborden at datawedge.com
Wed Jan 18 11:35:41 PST 2012

It sounds great… the math might be right, but I believe the human nature component is wrong… human nature changes when dealing with “other people’s money”.

(“Oh, if I had known you were paying for dinner, I would have ordered something more expensive…”)

Putting the word “preventative” in the name doesn’t change the way humans would react to and use it.

If we had universal health care, it means that individuals would never see the benefit of money saved… they would simply be given a “blank check” in terms of their health care and how they care for themselves… and therefore dismiss risks with personal choices for their health.

I can tell you first-hand my experiences on how human behavior changes as soon as fiscal responsibility to pay is shifted to the individual as opposed to a faceless 3rd party.

It’s sounds heartless to say (and even harder to defend)… but in order to have people making GOOD decisions, you have to have examples of people making BAD DECISIONS.

Jay