[Vision2020] Idaho prison population percentages

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sat Dec 15 10:28:50 PST 2012

On 12/14/2012 9:32 PM, Darrell Keim wrote:
> I hate when I miss a decimal.  Not too mention poor methodology!
> Double darn.  As long as we're being slightly pedantic, I'll point out
> it was 7 exclamation points, not apostrophes.
> Poor math skills aside, my overall point stands.
> It would be enlightening to compare Idaho's rate of prison growth to
> overall pop. growth.  Alas, not tonight.  I fear my math skills may
> not be up to the challenge ;)
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at frontier.com
> <mailto:kmmos1 at frontier.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/14/2012 5:43 PM, Darrell Keim wrote:
>
>          <[snip]>
>         Did you know the Idaho state prison population is 6400?  In
>         1974 it was 614.  I don't claim that mental health issues
>         account for this 96%(!!!!!!!) increase.  But, I'd bet my eye
>         teeth that it DOES represent a good chunk of it.
>
>     <[snip]>
>
>     Seven apostrophes incarcerated within parentheses following an
>     incorrect percentage ... it might have been an exciting time.

Well, Saturday silliness suggests that apostrophes incarcerated for a
long time grow to look as if they are exclamation points long in the
tooth, dripping with venom, but really, at heart, they are still
apostrophes.  Whether or not they should be released from their
parentheses is another matter.

Yes, comparisons of prison population with general population, education
levels, prison management motivations, etc., etc., likely would be
interesting, enlightening, etc., but, at the moment, it is the Saturday
morning at the end of fall semester finals week, so activities that
appear to be academic may be postponed for a while, if only to allow a
bit of holiday relaxation.  From that note, real world activities beckon.

Ken