[Vision2020] [more] Look See What Tri-State is Promoting . . .

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sun Aug 12 15:34:52 PDT 2012

On 8/12/2012 2:50 PM, Sunil Ramalingam wrote:
> But I've heard the argument made at CCW classes that it's responsible
> people who apply for such permits and who actually carry legally.
> While I generally agree that most people with permits are law-abiding,
> the fact is that there isn't any fool-proof way to make sure that only
> people who will use weapons responsibly will actually receive such
> permits.

What is the justification for issuing a concealed carry permit with a
duration of five years (60 months)? Why would not a duration of 60 days,
or even 60 hours, be more appropriate? If some real and specific
situation exists with a high probability of requiring use of deadly
force over all other possible problem resolution methods, why are not
agencies and organizations other than the individual involved in
resolving the problem without deadly force?

> I say this as someone who supports such permits. But I don't think
> that the training you need to get one in any way makes the average
> permit holder capable of taking on someone like the guy in Aurora and
> stopping him; I think that's just a fantasy.

Training is one thing. Fear and psychological instabilities are another.
If someone is so scared of indeterminate bad guys, bogey men, and actual
neighborhood criminals, why are not these fears, and why are not these
neighborhood criminals being addressed as the causes of the fears,
rather than issuing an inexpensive legal placebo in the form of a
long-term concealed carry permit?

Ken