[Vision2020] [more] Look See What Tri-State is Promoting . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 18:21:13 PDT 2012

On 08/12/2012 03:34 PM, Kenneth Marcy wrote:
> Training is one thing. Fear and psychological instabilities are
> another. If someone is so scared of indeterminate bad guys, bogey men,
> and actual neighborhood criminals, why are not these fears, and why
> are not these neighborhood criminals being addressed as the causes of
> the fears, rather than issuing an inexpensive legal placebo in the
> form of a long-term concealed carry permit?

Do you use seat belts?  If so, do you do it because you are afraid of
getting in an accident?  I would say that I wear them because I'd like
more options open when I've been in a collision.  Seat belts help keep
you centered where the steering wheel and other controls are so that you
have more options during the accident.

I've been thinking about getting a conceal carry permit, not because I
fear that shifty-eyed fellow down the block, but because it can be a
handy tool to have around if something unexpected happens and you're
stuck between a rock and a hard place.  More options, in a situation
where they dwindle rapidly.  Thus, a narrow-focused permit would do me
no good.  It would be like having to pay to activate your seat belt
harnesses for a short period of time, only when you think you might be
driving somewhere unsafe.

Nobody expects the unexpected.  Therefore, you don't know when you might
need to rely on your weapon (or your seat belt) to survive.

The hope would be that I would end up wasting all the money spent on
conceal carry permits because I had never ran into any kind of situation
where it was needed.

Paul