[Vision2020] PR - Moscow Farmers Market Name one of Top 5

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Thu Sep 29 16:56:09 PDT 2011

City of Moscow
206 E Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact: Gary J. Riedner, City Supervisor
p     |  208-883-7006
e     |   griedner at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:griedner at ci.moscow.id.us>
w    |  www.ci.moscow.id.us<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us>

PRESS RELEASE
Moscow Farmers Market Named as one of Top 5 Favorite Farmers Markets in Idaho

September 29, 2011 (Moscow, Idaho) – The Moscow Farmers Market was recently voted as 1 of 5 leading farmers markets in Idaho.  In this year’s contest more than 90,000 farmers market shoppers voted for more than 1,700 participating farmers markets in American Farmland Trust’s third annual contest.

The Moscow Farmers Market, located in Friendship Square in Moscow, Idaho from May through October is open Saturday’s from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.  More information can be found on the market at www.ci.moscow.id.us/art/fm<http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/art/fm> or on Facebook - Moscow Farmers Market at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moscow-Far​mers-Market/186842321362865.

Here is what one voter for the Moscow Farmers Market had to say about why it should be named one of America’s Favorite Farmers Markets:

“It is a great family event where we are able to get great fresh produce, locally produced wonderful baked goods, gift items all while listening to music and being around friendly people who enjoy the same!  It is a wonderful Saturday morning tradition for our young family!  Our girls love every minute of it!”

According to the recent release of the updated U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s farmers market directory, the number of farmers markets across the nation increased by 17 percent between 2010 and 2011. Support for farmers markets helps to provide income opportunities for farmers. The rising interest for local food from nearby farms highlights the value of protecting farmland to meet demand.

The America’s Favorite Farmers Markets contest is a part of American Farmland Trust’s No Farms No Food® campaign, which raises awareness of the dangers of farmland loss by making connections to food.  Farms near metropolitan areas produce 91 percent of the nation’s market value of fruit, 78 percent of vegetables, and 67 percent of dairy products.

To view the top 20 leader-boards or to vote in the America’s Favorite Farmers Markets contest, visit www.farmland.org/vote<http://www.farmland.org/vote>.

###

Story Contact: Kathleen Burns, Arts Director
Phone: 208.883.7036
Email: kburns at ci.moscow.id.us<mailto:kburns at ci.moscow.id.us>

The City of Moscow delivers quality municipal services while ensuring responsible use of resources. We anticipate and meet the needs of our diverse population in order to build public trust and enhance a sense of community.