[Vision2020] Why should Moscow pay more for schools?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 30 06:49:02 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (September 30, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

------------------------------
Why should Moscow pay more for schools?
The Moscow School District is asking voters to support an increase to the continuing operating levy that will cost the average homeowner about $17 per month. Voters have a right to ask why they should pay more for schools.
Public schools are the foundation of American democracy. In the United States, we opted to do something that is rare in the world: to educate all children to their fullest ability, because, as the Idaho constitution states, "The stability of a republican form of government depends mainly upon the intelligence of the people "
The mission of the Moscow School District is "to commit all assets, facilities, time and energy to provide students with the tools needed to become positive members of society." Regarding assets, since 2007, the MSD has lost $2.6 million (15 percent) from its budget, largely due to decreased funding from the state. In response, the district reduced teaching staff by 10 percent, reduced supply costs by 23 percent and delayed or eliminated maintenance expenditures.
Even so, Moscow ranks as one of the best school districts in Idaho. The Northwest schools accreditation association accredits 25 elementary schools in Idaho. Four of them are in Moscow. All of our teachers are certified to teach their subject and many are National Board certified. Our students' scores on the Idaho State Achievement tests and the SAT college entrance exam are consistently above average. We also boast an extremely high graduation rate of 96 percent, the result of the efforts of the entire staff and community who work with our children from kindergarten through high school.
We are not just asking for more money to maintain what we have, however. Critics point out that more can be done for our students and we agree. In 2011, we are offering 10 new courses at Moscow High School, including anatomy, journalism and linguistics. In 2011, there are more dual-credit university courses offered at MHS than at any other high school in Idaho. Thanks to grants awarded to teachers and staff, student gardens at McDonald Elementary, Palouse Creek Regional High School and a new Palouse prairie restoration at Russell Elementary are enriching science lessons and feeding people.
We are implementing a new database to collate student data over time, then design specific instruction for their individual needs. We are strengthening our reading and math instruction in our elementary schools. We are installing wireless services and full multi-media throughout the schools to aid instruction.
We are deep into a new evaluation model that brings teachers together to share and use better teaching methods. We have designed a challenging pay-for- performance plan, which rewards teachers based on their creativity and on student progress. We are meeting regularly to design the new Moscow Middle School and to move the ninth-graders into the high school, to better meet the curriculum needs of our students.
I urge you to visit a school, talk to students and teachers and experience some of their enthusiasm. As more than one of our principals put it recently "Our staff is 'crazy-busy' with school improvement to make this school a better place for our kids."
Learn more: Attend a public hearing about the levy at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 12, 18, 27 or Nov. 3 at the Moscow Junior High Multipurpose Room, ask questions at the Farmers Market table, or call the MSD district office.
Kim Campbell has lived in Moscow since 1999 with her husband and four children. She is employed as a research geneticist with the USDA-ARS in Pullman WA and is a member of the Moscow School District Board of Trustees .

Seeya round town, Moscow.