[Vision2020] who pays for Megaload cops?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 18:13:28 PDT 2011

Here's my take on the "who pays?" issue.  Exxon/Mobil has the proper
permits, and is abiding by their use on a public highway.  If there were
no protesters, then there would be no cops needed on extra duty.
Forcing Exxon/Mobil to pay is akin to a denial-of-service attack in the
computer world.  All you need to do, if you don't like someone or some
company, is to stage a protest outside their place of business.  The
larger the better.  Then the person or the business will have to pay for
their protection from the police, regardless of whether or not they've
done anything wrong.  You might as well get a bunch of people to write
letters in protest and then force whoever is the current target of their
ire to pay for the paper, the envelopes, the postage, and their time.

The only way I can see a justification for Exxon/Mobil paying for the
policemen on extra duty is if they specifically contracted for them in
order to protect the safety of their drivers.  Which leads to the
question: who authorized the extra duty for the police officers - the
city, the police department, Exxon/Mobil or some other group?

Paul

P.S.  I snipped Mayor Cheney and Councilman Lamarr's names from the to:
list.  I'm sure they get enough spam as it is and can choose whether or
not to read the Viz on their own cognizance.