[Vision2020] Fw: Idaho Falls Post Register

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Fri Nov 4 00:11:54 PDT 2011

Thanks.  I’m reading it just now and am more than a bit appalled anyone would use it as good evidence of proof of waste.   And what a stellar group who signed on to it:  Bob Forrey, Darrell Deide, Marv Hagedorn, Karen McGee, Ralph Smeed, Steve Symms and a host of others.  If I had to choose the one I most respect for her/his integrity, I’d probably take Ralph Smeed, but he’s dead, so I’ll take Steve Symms.  And I’m not among the few who think of him as a paragon of virtue.   So I must admit I approached this report with a genuine bias, and Roger, I can’t imagine why in the world you promoted it as good evidence of waste in govt.  For example:

1.  They faulted Health & Welfare for it’s failure to push enough people out of Medicaid and for not knowing the number who go off each year. The implication is there are a bunch of deadbeats getting these services when they should be out fending for themselves.  According to the group, Medicaid is now a hammock, not a safety net. As one whose daughter has been a recipient of Medicaid services for most of her life, I can attest to the fact that her status is evaluated EVERY YEAR and an annual determination is made by Health & Welfare.  It’s true, it is no longer a safety net. There’s a hole of such magnitude that disabled adults have two options:  die quickly or be lucky enough to have family financially able to care for them.  Recipients have lost medical services for glasses, hearing aides, counseling, assistive devices—items many of them sorely need in order to live a productive life or to keep them from harming themselves and others.

2.  In regard to the SCHIP Program—the one that provides health insurance for poor children; the one the Idaho Legislature continues to defund, despite its national record of success in providing medical help to poor children.  Here’s a quote that should make the group’s motives very clear, “Additionally, experts who have studied SCHIP find little evidence that providing government insurance to people improves health outcomes.”  And their “experts” who made this revelation—the same ones who wrote the report.  The link cited takes one back to the report website and offers no other evidence.

3.  Fit and Fall Proof.  This is an exercise program for seniors and others who need it as a rehabilitation service.  Gritman offers a number of sessions at the Wellness Center.  I’m in one.  They are really very helpful for those of us who, as we age, can benefit from exercise which builds muscle strength and self confidence.  Some of the literature I just received indicates that Idaho seniors are injured in falls that require medical care in higher numbers than the national average, so one might think it would be a good service for the state to provide.  The Freedom Foundation doesn’t like it because it cuts into private sector alternatives, but really it doesn’t. Some of us also have gym memberships, and many are are too physically fragile to benefit from the machines a gym traditionally provides.  The report further states the program is a waste of money because there are more falls now than before the program started.  Maybe so, but those data are from medical injury reports, not comparisons between folks in the program and folks who aren’t.

4.  Childcare Programs.  There is the quote that these programs are “rife with abuse,” but no citations to indicate such is the case in Idaho.  Their claims fit right into the Idaho paradigm—don’t do anything to help young children or their parents, because in Idaho the legislators over the years repeatedly state, “young children should be at home with their mothers.”  So we don’t mandate kindergartens nor do we accept federal money to improve early childhood education. Wish I could remember the name of the legislator who told a young unemployed mother if she needed help she ought to, “get right with her church.”

5.  They use a lot of space discussing what they would call undeserved perks earned by Idaho State Employees, HIgher Education Personnel, and Public School Teachers.  They’ve collected master agreements (which are now null and void because of the new laws) and cherry picked the pieces that indicate to them schools are simply rolling in money and their employees are stealing from taxpayers in many unethical ways.  One example from Ponderay School District which was, until this year, fairly common in negotiated agreements, and certainly a common business practice; that of allowing current employees to move into new jobs as they come open, rather than advertise them publically.  But the group from the Idaho Freedom Foundation claims this is not only unfair, but costly, because it takes “more qualified candidates who would cost the district less, out of the picture.”  It’s moot now, but if I as an employee move into another position, that leaves my position vacant, and if both the candidate and I qualified for the vacated position, it’s likely s/he qualifies for the one I leave.  But the Idaho Freedom Foundation can’t be bothered with extrapolation.

There’s a lot more. And I suppose there are some compelling issues concerning wasted resources, but taken as a whole, it’s disingenuous at best and often supplies questionable and patently false evidence to support its claims.  It’s interesting reading  though, because it appears to be the current bible upon which the Governor, Legislators, Tom Luna,  and potentially local policy makers are positioning themselves.

Jay and Tom, thanks for the link.

Sue Hovey