[Vision2020] Moscow's Muscular Megalod Embrace

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 11:44:35 PDT 2011

I think there is another way to look at this.  It shouldn't be framed as a pro- or anti-capitalist issue.  We don't, for example, bar big oil's trucks carrying gasoline from using our streets.  In fact, as long as the driver is legal and no laws are being violated, we don't stop *anyone* from using our streets.  They are public streets after all.  Now, obviously, loads of this size should be an exception.  They should be an exception, I should say, because the are so large, not because of who owns them or to what purpose they are putting them towards.  Perhaps the ITD is too quick to issue permits, and perhaps that is a problem.  But that's a permit problem, and would apply to large solar panels or wind turbine pieces.  Or large containers of fairy dust, for that matter.

I see too many people that see this as an opportunity to stick it to big oil, since they have the opportunity to do so at this moment in time.  I think that's an abuse of power, myself.  I'm all for making sure that they are jumping through the right hoops in terms of making sure that traffic is handled OK, emergency services have a route past them, they compensate the city for any tree-trimming or whatnot has to be done and so forth, but I think that trying to deny them passage because they are big oil is not right.

Just because I know it will come up, I'm no fan of big oil.   I just don't think this issue should be used in that way.

Paul