[Vision2020] Moscow's Muscular Megalod Embrace

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:33:29 PDT 2011

There is a significant number in the Moscow area who are ideologically
pro-business/pro-corporate thus friendly to big oil's needs, those who
might have supported Palin's "drill baby drill" mantra in the 2008
presidential race, who view obstacles to the tar sands development as
an impediment to lowering high gas and diesel prices and improving the
US economy in general, who think the opposition to the mega-loads is
really more about a progressive antipathy to big captialist economic
power and supporting an environmental agenda, rather than damage to or
blocking streets or highways, who therefore are "friends" of the city
council members who rolled out the welcome mat for the mega-loads.

This point of view was in part expressed by Moscow councilperson
Carscallen May 17, 2011, Moscow-Pullman Daily News:
http://finance.comcast.net/stocks/news_body.html?ID_OSI=85595&ID_NEWS=190774448

"I wonder if there would be as much discussion about these loads if
they were 24-foot-wide, 210-feet-long, and 30-foot-high solar panels
or wind turbine blades," Carscallen said. "I have seen people that are
honest that the Kearl Oil Sands are the reason they're against it."
I think it possible the local political "enemies" of this action by
the council might not be greater in number than the "friends" of this
action, though the enemies might be more publicly vocal in oppostion;
therefore I question that the council's action is "a matter that earns
politicians enemies but few friends" as the Trillhaase editorial
quoted below states.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett