[Vision2020] Fw: Idaho Faculty Salary Survey

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:15:44 PDT 2011

Dear Anonymous Wayne:

Tenured professors can be fired for professional incompetence, moral turpitude (my favorite), a felony conviction, financial exigency, and if their department or unit has been eliminated for, example, lack of enrollment.

It used to be that a tenure review could be triggered by an individual faculty member, a department, or a dean.  Now it is the prerogative of the UI Provost and we recently begged him to review the tenured professor who most likely committed a felony, but he refused to.

Many years ago a tenure review committee recommended the dismissal of a incompetent professor.  The administration refused to act on the faculty recommendation.

Administrators are responsible for signing off on the granting of tenure and if they cannot enforce the tenure review process, then it is their fault not the faculty's.

Very glad that tenure protects academic freedom in Tea Party Times,

Nick