[Vision2020] Intentional Fires Under Investigation

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jul 5 00:27:24 PDT 2011

Courtesy of today's (July 5, 2011) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

--------------------------------
Independence Day fire destroys Moscow home

Seven intentional fires on Sunday under investigation

Fireworks were not the cause of a Fourth of July house fire at 2712 Notting Hill Drive in Moscow, but firefighters say they certainly didn't help.

About 22 firefighters responded to the call around 11:30 a.m. to find the garage of the home engulfed in flames, said Batallion Chief Rick Benson. Along with the garage, the fire also destroyed the attic space and two cars inside the garage, as well as one along the side of the house.

Training Capt. Jason Blubaum said it appears an object caught fire after falling over on the exhaust pipe of one of the vehicles after the family occupying the rental home returned from a long trip.

"(One occupant) heard some banging and some fireworks sounds, so he went to the garage and saw it was on fire," Benson said.

"They had fireworks, but it wasn't started by fireworks," said Blubaum. "Fireworks helped spread (the fire)."

Blubaum said the fire was contained in about 15 minutes, but crews stayed around to salvage items from the home, mop up hot spots and investigate the cause of the blaze.

"We started at the garage," he said. "Once we got it stamped down, we cut a hole in the roof," which allowed them to access the attic with hoses.

Benson said heat from the fire broke a few windows to a neighboring home, but the fire did not jump to any other surrounding structures. The July heat, while still early in the month, added to the firefighters' battle.

"That's why we needed lots of people," he said, "so we could rotate them in there."

There were many spectators because a lot of people had the day off, Blubaum said, and Moscow Police assisted in diverting traffic. Nearby neighbors also needed to be moved back as some attempted to help.

"We had a lot of good-hearted citizens who were pulling out garden hoses that weren't going to do anything," Blubaum said.

Benson said the home and vehicles are being reported as a total loss. The damage is estimated at $350,000. Blubaum said the property owner set the displaced family up in a hotel.

Seven intentional fires started in Moscow

Blubaum said firefighters were also kept busy Sunday night and early Monday morning responding to seven fires started in Dumpsters, garbage cans and one outside bathroom.

"It's an open case right now with law enforcement," he said. The first fire report came in around 11 a.m. Sunday. "It had to be someone with a vehicle because they were all over town. They were like 30 minutes apart."

Fire locations were the Early Childhood Learning Center at the University of Idaho and Lena Whitmore Elementary School, with one set at the Latah County Fairgrounds, and all others in city parks, Blubaum said.

"A good Samaritan got injured trying to put out a Dumpster fire out on Water Tower Park," he said, adding the man's legs were burned during his efforts.

Blubaum said it was good that no structures caught fire, but unfortunate that so much damage was done to city property and "taxpayers are footing the bill for all of those."

There is no estimate yet for the cost of the damages.

A community-wide thank you goes to Battalion Chief Rick Benson and the Moscow Volunteer Fire Department for their rapid response in preventing what could have been a major catastrophe.

Let's hope that the individuals that started these fires are apprehended swiftly and punished harshly.

"The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown