[Vision2020] that Jared guy and mental health

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Jan 29 13:29:51 PST 2011

Guns v. mental stability: just to introduce some other considerations:

Who determines who is accursed with the kind of mental illness that is apt to result in being a serious danger to others when armed?  How much accursed does the potential shooter have to be in order to deny the right to bear arms?  What is the reliability of such a diagnosis?

Is a person with severe anger management problems (or as we used to say: has a quick, violent temper) considered to be mentally ill?  A danger a serious danger to others when armed?  How bad would the anger management problem need to be in order to deny the right to bear arms?  Who and how is this decided?

The question of denying constitutional rights, any rights, just not gun ownership rights, on the basis of a mental health diagnoses/problems is seriously complicated one.  There are probably some extreme cases that would seem reasonable, but what about the vast majority of other cases?  Remember that at one time in the USSR, people who expressed anti-government sentiments could be sent to some horrible mental hospitals.

This also relates to the rights of those disabled persons who are called "severely mentally challenged."  Apparently they are not allowed to have sex since in most jurisdictions they are considered to be unable to make a rational enough decision to give permission.  So, in addition to suffering an egregious disability, they are prohibited from enjoying a simple pleasure that would add some positive, rewarding experiences to their lives.

Mental competence/stability as a criterion for denying rights in order to protect society/individuals:  I don't have an answer though I have thought about it a lot.  I suspect there isn't a nice or a legal one that would be acceptable to the majority answer, but I'm open to hearing suggestions.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843