[Vision2020] apologists for violence

roger hayes rhayes at frontier.com
Sat Jan 29 13:59:04 PST 2011

Regarding Michael O'Neals recent editorial.
I am repulsed by so many people defending the right to scream "Fire!"
in crowded theaters. We need to understand what we do when we incite
people to riot or violence. I don't give a hoot from which quarter
the rhetoric is flung, telling people "Don't retreat, Reload" and the
thousands of other vindictives being hurled at the public is nothing
but sedition at worst, and trash talk at best. It is designed to
prick at the raw nerves of fear and hate in which modern life seems
to be so rich these days. How does the rest of the world view us? Do
they hear the angry and often violent talk of media baboons
advocating death sentences on people with whom they disagree.  Do
they get wind of ridiculous racial slurs against world leaders and
languages other than English? Do they fear to visit the United States
out of worry for their personal safety because of our growing
reputation for violence and anger?
A civil and healthy debate about our responsibility as citizens, and
particularly as media or governmental figures to rein in our language
is a good thing. Shish, we need to take back our dignity!
Sincerely,
Roger Hayes
Moscow