[Vision2020] that Jared guy and mental health

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Fri Jan 28 09:14:37 PST 2011

A couple things, and I'm by no means an expert:

I have purchased handguns, shotguns, and rifles.  All were reported to the
ATF.  They are registered to me with the feds. Or, at least, I would assume
the paperwork I filled out, with all kinds of federal language on it, would
speak to that.  I don't know the exact paperwork, as it's been almost a year
since I last bought something.  I do know they'll call you back to the store
if you just put an "S" instead of "South" when you live on South Cleveland .
. . oh yeah, and you have to put "Street" as well.

As far as an AK47 and the purchase of such at a gun show, I can't say that
I've ever seen one for sale, and you can't buy a full automatic one
anywhere, not legally anyway, or at least not with a lot of paperwork, and a
lot of time.  Of course, I've never had the inclination to purchase one, so
I can't really speak from experience.  I wouldn't mind owning an AR-15, but
I don't have that kind of jingle, so I've never pursued it.

But, the gun part of the equation wasn't my point.

Yes, something has to be done, but that something is with regard to mental
health care.  Should this Laughner fellow been institutionalized when he was
discharged from the service?  Perhaps, but what about his civil rights, his
freedom?  Maybe the military shouldn't just discharge someone when they
start acting up.  Perhaps they should have some sort of program to help
diagnose these folks and help get them on an even keel, rather than what
seems like just cutting their losses and kicking them to the curb.  Maybe
they do offer such programs, but they could very well be voluntary. I don't
know, I wasn't in the military.  Like I said, I'm no expert.

Unless someone has actually committed a crime, I don't think they can be,
uh, committed to some sort of treatment program.  Maybe during one of his
prior "run-ins with the law" someone should have noticed something.  But, of
course, the system is bogged down, departments are understaffed, people are
underpaid, and folks fall through the cracks.

I guess, in short, we need to work on sealing the cracks.

Your pal

DC