[Vision2020] that Jared guy and mental health

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 28 08:06:28 PST 2011

I see what your sayin', Area Man.

But, how, in THE HELL was Laughner sold a gun.  The guy has a
well-publicized history loaded with red flags.

He was discharged from the service after being diagnosed with "behavioral
issues".  He has had run-ins with the law.

Yet, he was sold a gun.  He killed six people and maimed one for life.

Do you realize that if I were to purchase more than two handguns, my
purchases would be reported to ATF (and rightfully so).  HOwver, if I were
to purchase more than one rifle, my purchases are not reported to anybody.
 Heck, in Idaho rifles are not required to be registered.  I can legally
purchase ten (or 20 or 30 or 40 or . . . ) AK-47 assault rifles at a gun
show here in Idaho and my purchases would not have too be reported to
anybody.  Heck, I wouldn't even have to register any of them.

Something HAS GOT TO BE DONE!

Thoughts?

On Fri, January 28, 2011 7:47 am, Dan Carscallen wrote:
> Vizzz peeps,
>

> We live in a free society.  One of the prices we pay for living here is
> that
> there are some loonballs running around who could snap at any minute.
> Should they be?  Probably not, but who is to say when and how these folks
> should be rounded up and treated?  Sure, I think all of us can talk about
> the guy in our neighborhood that seems a little sketchy, but what are we
> supposed to do?  Call the cops and have them haul him in because he
> doesn't
> fit society's norm?  I think there are a lot of folks, right here on the
> Vizzz even, that don't necessarily follow the "norm".   But we go along
> and
> live our lives in our free society.
>

> The media talked to this Jared guy's neighbors, and they said "yes, he
> seemed like a nutjob", but what were they to do?  They watched him, kept
> their distance, stayed as vigilant as they could.  Unfortunately, he
> "slipped through the cracks".  Should he have been prevented from buying a
> pistol?  Maybe, but in a free society, how?  He wasn't a convicted felon,
> he
> answered all the questions properly, and he paid his money.  It's not a
> speedy process, no matter who or where you are.  Even with a concealed
> weapon permit, and a pre-checked background, it's not quick by any means.
>

> This can't be blamed on rhetoric, nor on extremists from either side of
> the
> aisle.  The blame lays solely on a sick man who obviously needs help.
> And,
> perhaps, the "blame" lays on the freedom we enjoy by being citizens of the
> United States of America.
>

> Your pal
>

> DC

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,