[Vision2020] Love

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jan 3 09:18:28 PST 2011

It may be wise to remember in a discussion of values the following paraphrase of a quotation from English Philosopher John Locke:

"When comparing two ideas, it is necessary to have a clear and distinct idea of each."

Or its modern statement:

"When comparing two statements or theories, the clearer, less vague and ambiguous statement(s) of and definitions used in each, the better the chance of meaningfully determining the truth, or in the case of values, the correct application, or least discovering the roots of agreement or disagreement."

Somehow the author of the list which we have been presented seems not to have appreciated the above recommendations, nor has the author appreciated the wisdom of Aristotle about the virtues and the mean -- avoiding excesses in either direction.  The author, if she/he really had an open mind about the nature of value statements, might try taking Ethics 101.  The author might then discover that determining the truth, if there is such, or correct application, if there is such, of value statements is quite a bit more complicated than giving a list of platitudes.

Values are not like gravity or electricity where erroneous statements are confronted by hard reality.

w.