[Vision2020] Fw: On Ron Paul and Racism

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Dec 31 19:25:12 PST 2011

Sunil,

1.  I believe the (second) war on Iraq was a huge mistake, but not the first.

2.  There are parts of the defense budget that need trimming.  However, without going into detail, we are faced with serious global predatory threats.  It would be foolish not to anticipate and to prepare for them.  I think much more effort needs to be made against cyber threats and waging cyber war.  Further, though not a Defense Department item, I think money needs to be spent in various effective ways to wage peace.  Unlike many, I believe in the very limited use of pre-emptive strikes, and very limited using lethal force, if necessary, in dealing with those terrorists who have murdered U.S. citizens in our country, territories, or havens like embassy/consular grounds or are seriously planning to do so.*  I strongly believe in the right of self-defense both nationally and personally.

3.  I believe very strongly in due process and civil rights.  I am appalled by allowing imprisonment without due process and allowing search/seizure/snooping without court process.

4.  I think many presidents, including Obama, have acted outside their constitutional powers.  However, it is the Supreme Court's opinion that matters here, not mine.  Given any of these issues, argument can be made on both sides *including the assignation of terrorists on foreign soil.  With respect to the latter, I believe the Supreme Court would agree that such actions are constitutional in limited circumstances.  Sooner or later there will probably be test cases in the Supreme Court about the constitutionality of the above items.  There is one now about the use of ISPs and telecom companies helping law enforcement snoop without court process (this is going on in Latah County right now).

Some of the views above are consistent with some of what Ron Paul claims to believe.  However, as I said before:  He is a phony libertarian: he is against reproductive rights and other civil rights; he has vocally aligned himself on these matters with the religious right.  He has so far refused to repudiate racist and others crackpot views or disassociate himself from hate groups that support him.  His denial about the racist and other foolhardy remarks in his letters being his are far from convincing, but worst of all he has not repudiated the substance of those remarks.

As Tom Hansen said.  These matters are not the only issues.  To some they may be the most important like abortion or gay marriage is to others.  Despite his being a so-called free market believer, he appears to be clueless about how the economy actually works.

Uncompromising idealists, whatever flavor, seldom make good leaders.  There is too much uncertainty in our knowledge to trust someone who believes they are right on all issues and everyone who disagrees with them are wrong.

w.