[Vision2020] Fw: On Ron Paul and Racism

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Dec 31 22:14:59 PST 2011

Being a racist doesn't mean he's wrong on these issues, Sunil -- but it means that, as Ron Paul (if he is, in fact, a racist), he should be applauded for those views he holds that are correct and challenged on any that you, I, or anyone else disagrees with.  It doesn't mean he ought to run for office, or that we ought to vote for him.

There are plenty of people, I imagine, who are right about the issues you mention below who aren't bigots, and who -- perhaps more germane to the conversation -- wouldn't gut the social services that make this country not only habitable (imperfect and imperfectly delivered as they are), but moral.  I think you and I see the defense/national security issues fairly similarly, and we likely also applaud Paul's views on legalizing marijuana, gay marriage, and maybe a couple of other issues.  Nonetheless, even those areas on which I agree with Paul -- the ones I just mentioned and the ones you did -- aren't enough for me either to vote for him, or overlook what at least the most fervent Paul supporter would acknowledge was carelessness in letting bigots crank out his newsletter.

The cumulative effect of Paul's economic and some of his social policies will harm more people -- people already marginalized and suffering -- than the hundreds of thousands this and the previous war-courting administrations have.  Do I take any comfort in that?

No.  Not at all.  But I have to vote for the man who seems to have more, better answers than the one who has one or two good ones.  And I can't afford to combine the worst of both Obama and Paul by risking the horror of, say, a Perry or Bachmann presidency.

Thanks, Sunil.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com