[Vision2020] Fw: On Ron Paul and Racism

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 31 19:15:21 PST 2011

Here's are a couple of excerpts from Glenn Greenwald's column today. As I read it I thought of the discussion we've been having here about Ron Paul. I think the whole thing is worth reading, so here's the link:

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/31/progressives_and_the_ron_paul_fallacies/singleton/

The links in the excerpts don't work, but those in the actual article do.

First:

"The thing I loathe most about election season is reflected in the
central fallacy that drives progressive discussion the minute “Ron Paul”
 is mentioned. As soon as his candidacy is discussed, progressives will
reflexively point to a slew of positions he holds that are anathema to
liberalism and odious in their own right and then say: how can you support someone who holds this awful, destructive position?
 The premise here — the game that’s being played — is that if you can
identify some heinous views that a certain candidate holds, then it
means they are beyond the pale, that no Decent Person should even
consider praising any part of their candidacy.

The fallacy in this
 reasoning is glaring. The candidate supported by progressives —
President Obama — himself holds heinous views on a slew of critical
issues and himself has done heinous things with the power he has been
vested. He has slaughtered civilians — Muslim children by the dozens — not once or twice, but continuously in numerous nations with drones, cluster bombs and other forms of attack. He has sought
 to overturn a global ban on cluster bombs. He has institutionalized the
 power of Presidents — in secret and with no checks — to target American
 citizens for assassination-by-CIA, far from any battlefield. He has waged
 an unprecedented war against whistleblowers, the protection of which
was once a liberal shibboleth. He rendered permanently irrelevant the
War Powers Resolution, a crown jewel in the list of post-Vietnam liberal
 accomplishments, and thus enshrined the power of Presidents to wage war
 even in the face of a Congressional vote against it. His obsession with secrecy is so extreme that it has become darkly laughable in its manifestations, and he even worked to amend the Freedom of Information Act (another crown jewel of liberal legislative successes) when compliance became inconvenient."
Of course this is exactly what is happening in our V2020 discussion about Ron Paul. I think it's worth noting that the Establishment Right does not oppose Obama on any of these atrocities, as they would do the same. Now here's the next excerpt:

"It’s perfectly rational and reasonable for progressives to decide
that the evils of their candidate are outweighed by the evils of the GOP
 candidate, whether Ron Paul or anyone else. An honest line of reasoning
 in this regard would go as follows:
Yes,
 I’m willing to continue to have Muslim children slaughtered by covert
drones and cluster bombs, and America’s minorities imprisoned by the
hundreds of thousands for no good reason, and the CIA able to run
rampant with no checks or transparency, and privacy eroded further by
the unchecked Surveillance State, and American citizens targeted by the
President for assassination with no due process, and whistleblowers
threatened with life imprisonment for “espionage,” and the Fed able to
dole out trillions to bankers in secret, and a substantially higher risk
 of war with Iran (fought by the U.S. or by Israel with U.S. support) in exchange for less
 severe cuts to Social Security, Medicare and other entitlement
programs, the preservation of the Education and Energy Departments, more
 stringent environmental regulations, broader health care coverage,
defense of reproductive rights for women, stronger enforcement of civil
rights for America’s minorities, a President with no associations with
racist views in a newsletter, and a more progressive Supreme Court.
Without my adopting it, that
 is at least an honest, candid, and rational way to defend one’s choice.
 It is the classic lesser-of-two-evils rationale, the key being that it
explicitly recognizes that both sides are “evil”: meaning it is not a
Good v. Evil contest but a More Evil v. Less Evil contest. But that is
not the discussion that takes place because few progressives want to
acknowledge that the candidate they are supporting — again — is someone
who will continue to do these evil things with their blessing. Instead,
we hear only a dishonest one-sided argument that emphasizes Paul’s evils
 while ignoring Obama’s (progressives frequently ask: how can any progressive consider an anti-choice candidate but don’t ask themselves: how can any progressive support a child-killing, secrecy-obsessed, whistleblower-persecuting Drug Warrior?)."
I hear my friends say that they'll vote for Obama again, and he's the lesser of two evils. Well, I don't know how 'lesser' he is. I know when Bush was doing these things, I railed against him. Till now I've held my tongue about Obama, but I'm done with that.
If you think what I've posted above is wrong, and does not describe what we've seen from this administration, please show me how I'm wrong. I would very much like to be wrong.

Here's a link to the article.

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/31/progressives_and_the_ron_paul_fallacies/singleton/

Sunil

CC: vision2020 at moscow.com