[Vision2020] Vision2020 "Witch-Hunt?"

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 20:00:02 PDT 2011

Here is why I don't trust one of the most prominent climate researchers
in the field.

Let's talk hockey sticks.  Here is a PDF put together by Ross McKitrick,
a member of the department of Economics and the University of Guelph:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rmckitri/research/McKitrick-hockeystick.pdf

The PDF does a much better job than I could ever do explaining what the
"hockey stick" debate is about, but I'll go ahead and summarize it
here.  Please read the document for more details.

Basically, Professor Michael Mann produced a graph in 1998 from various
temperature proxies purporting to show the surface temperature history
for the past thousand years or so.  If you've even cursorily looked into
climate science, you've seen this graph.  It's called a "hockey stick"
because it's more or less flat up until recent history where it turns
upward strikingly.  This was featured prominently in the 2001 Third
Assessment Report put out by the IPCC (the UN International Panel on
Climate Change).

The tale this graph tells is a surprising one.  Previously, it was
assumed that there was a period of time in the 1300s or so where
temperatures were much warmer than they are now (called the Medieval
Warm Period), followed by a period of time where temperatures were much
colder than average (called the Little Ice Age).  Current temperatures
were thought to be on the rebound from the LIA, presumably on their way
back to MWP temperatures.  There was a graph of this in the IPCC report
that came out in 1990, which shows how canonical this idea was.  The
hockey stick graph tells a different tale, though.  According to that
graph, temperatures for the last thousand years have been pretty much
steady, albeit a little colder than now.  Lately, though, the
temperature has sky-rocketed upwards, presumably due to Man and his evil
ways.

In 2003, a retired minerals prospector and mathematician, Stephen
McIntyre, was curious about the graph and wanted to look at the data.
After some delay, the data was turned over to him.  He found out
quickly, though, that he could not replicate some statistical constructs
necessary to the analysis called principal components or PCs
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_components).  He joined up with
Ross McKitrick (the author of the PDF), and they attempted to find out
why things couldn't be replicated.  Initially, they found some errors
relating to truncated series, location labels, and other things, and
found that if the errors were corrected for and the PCs recomputed, the
hockey stick-like curve on the graph disappeared.

They corresponded with Mann, who told them they had not computed the PCs
correctly.  When they asked him for his computer code, he refused to
make it available.  He also told them they had the wrong data set, so
they went to the FTP site Mann pointed them to and downloaded the
correct one (which was almost identical to the one they had).  They
later found that some of the code used to compute the PCs was actually
present on the FTP site, which explained why there were discrepancies,
Mann et al hadn't used the proper procedure for scaling his PCs: instead
of subtracting the mean for the whole series, he only subtracted the
mean for the 20th century.  This causes any series in the data that have
a large increase in the 20th century to be weighted much higher than any
other random series.

McKitrick and McIntyre figured this out and showed how when they ran
10,000 runs of random data using correctly computed PCs, they almost
never got a hockey stick shape in the data, but when they ran it with
Mann's method of computing the PCs, they got a hockey stick 99% of the time.

This is pretty damning stuff.  They wrote it up for Nature (where Mann's
original paper was published) and they refused to print it.  So they
went back and studied the data in more depth, and concluded that a small
number series of bristlecone pines in North America were being severely
weighted by the incorrect PC calculation which was causing most of the
problem, and that when they removed just those series (from 5000 of
them), the hockey stick went away.  Now, the really damning bit is that
at that original FTP site was a folder called "CENSORED" that contained
evidence that Mann himself had done this same analysis, and thus knew
that his paper was incorrect, and has done nothing about it.

There is more (read the PDF for details), but that's enough to show that
Mann is not to be trusted.

There is one other thing from the PDF that I find really damning for
Mann.  In the PDF, a paleoclimatologist named David Deming tells of how
he had done some work with borehole temperatures for the past 150 years
that showed a warming trend. Here is a quote from him that was in the PDF:

"With the publication of the article in Science, I gained significant
credibility in the
community of scientists working on climate change. They thought I was
one of them,
someone who would pervert science in the service of social and political
causes. So one
of them let his guard down. A major person working in the area of
climate change and
global warming sent me an astonishing email that said “We have to get
rid of the
Medieval Warm Period.”"

The PDF was written in 2005, and the Climategate emails came out in
2009.  In one of them, Mann is quoted as saying to Phil Jones (head of
the Hadley Center) that "it would be nice to try to "contain" the
putative "MWP", even if we don't yet
    have a hemispheric mean reconstruction available that far back".
This email is from June of 2003.  This tells me that they didn't just
make an error with their statistical analysis, they deliberately
misconstrued the data in order to prove a political point (i.e.
everything was just fine a thousand years ago until Man mucked it all
up).  It wasn't a surprising result that they innocently didn't
recognize as an actual error, it was a guided attempt to deceive
others.  In my opinion, of course.

This isn't just some lowly climate scientist wannabe, this is arguably
one of *the* main guys in climate science, and he holds a lot of power
at the IPCC.  Certainly, the IPCC spammed his hockey stick graph
everywhere before McIntyre and McKitrick published their paper.

Now, the interesting thing is that the NSF recently "exonerated" Mann
from any research misconduct, (see
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-22/climate-change-scientist-cleared-in-u-s-data-altering-inquiry.html).
But if you read the actual report from the NSF
(http://www.nsf.gov/oig/search/A09120086.pdf) you find that they
basically concluded that Mann was not under their jurisdiction at the
time he published his paper, that his data is (now) available to
researchers, that there were concerns raised about his statistical
analysis techniques (which is the subject of this email), that he hadn't
altered any data (which wasn't as far as I can tell a charge ever laid
against him), and that his research has influenced the debate greatly in
the climate science community.  Not exactly out of synch with what Ross
McKitrick says in his PDF, and hardly "exonerating' him of his
untrustworthiness.

Anyway, it's time for dinner.  There is far more I could write about one
the major climate researchers telling us to trust them because they Know
What They Are Doing, but this should really be enough.

It goes without saying that I am highly skeptical of anything coming
from Michael Mann.

Paul